Monday, July 18, 2011

Star Fort - Ninety Six, South Carolina

1 mile "hike" and the kids did great
A beautiful day for a field trip last Saturday. High in the low 80's and just wonderful.We have been wanting to come here for a long time. The visitor's center was great. They have too many good books for sale but we were good and only walked away with one.

They have a small museum and a small video room. The movie lasted about 20 minutes and I think I told Lauren "it's just pretend" about 20 times. She's developing a tender heart and did not care for the battle footage. It was good but there were so many other stories to tell about the Star Fort.








This was one of the historical tidbits that I learn on our field trip. I had no idea that the first to die in South Carolina during the Revolution was in Ninety Six! Of course, Jonathan new this but my American history knowledge is embarrassingly limited. For some reason I thought world history was more interesting in college....boooo. Oh well, life is a learning experience.

When going to the Star Fort itself, which is just hills and trenches, I could only imagine the continual fear and unsettled feeling that those who lived here must have felt. They worked hard and never expected anything to be given to them. They new more about what it takes to live than we could ever imagine. This is one aspect of history we would be wise to regain.

Daddy's smile is as big as Thomas's.



The kids enjoyed the toys that the reinactors brought. The girls favorite game were the marbles but our boy was smitten with this wooden pistol. It won't be long until he joins his sisters in their marksmanship lessons.




One thing I am always quickly reminded of when I look at history is how grateful I am. How quickly things change on this earth and how hopefully this will not be a part of history that we will relive. I enjoy my trip to the beach via car but not by horse or on foot.
Historic roads to major areas in SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment